Week 3 - Follow Through

When an object or character moves, anything "loosely" attached to it will follow a similar path of movement. The first exercise was simply a string attached at one end to an ever-bouncing ball animated to show the string following the movement of the ball.


Moving on to 3D with the same exercise meant achieving the same thing but with different tools. A simple chain of joints make up the tail. I was relatively happy with the result:


I then tried another exercise using an IK Spline to control the motion of the follow through. I think with some more time tweaking and more experience controlling the IK spline I could achieve what I was looking for:


Finally I ended the week with some fun 2D animating. I've realised that follow through motion is difficult to plan due to the fluid, natural type of movements so with this in mind I completed the following characters body animation from start to finish and then added his hair with straight-ahead drawings. The result is a little erratic and inconsistent but the actual movement is quite pleasing:

No comments:

Post a Comment